Search This Blog

Monday 18 August 2014

Ephesians 3:4-6

In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets. This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

This morning, I listened to a sermon that hurt. Matthew 25.1-13. What do I care more for? The burning success of a ministry or the oil of intimacy? A lamp for outward show or the indispensable day to day connect with God which keeps that lamp burning? The wise prioritize oil. (Matthew 25:4 “The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps”) So often, I am a fool. Tangled up in doing, preparing, ministering. Too busy to sit at His feet and be awed by mystery. Too preoccupied to cultivate intimacy then hoping for a quick fix: can I borrow some oil? 

But relationship isn't transferable. No one can love Jesus on my behalf. No one can rejoice in my salvation for me. The bridegroom loves with abandon and he wants a bride who does the same. Oh to hear him say, "I know this one! She's like Mary. I know this one. She loves to sit at my feet. She loves to hear what I think and listen to my heart. She never forgot the goodness of being loved by me and being mine, such mystery always retained its wonder to her. I know this one."

But I am a foolish one. A Martha who needs to learn to be a Mary. An heir who sometimes can't even be bothered to stop and love the one who adopted her. Oh to be wise today. To ask for oil not just a lamp.
How much do I value intimacy with Jesus? How much am I awed by the fact that I, Gentile, outsider, one standing far off, should be welcomed into the king's court, given the privileges of a son, desired as much as a bride? It is a mystery indeed. Beautiful, deep, unfathomable riches. Romans 11.33-36.

No comments:

Post a Comment