Search This Blog

Wednesday 9 December 2020

Advent 9: Substitute

Scripture:

“The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29)

Song: How Deep the Father's Love For Us

What does it mean that Jesus stood in our place? That the Son of God came to be our substitute?

In part it means that we needed Jesus to come. That is a sobering thought. It is easy to get tangled up in the tinsel of Christmas and forget that this tiny, little, beautiful baby would one day be nailed to a cross. Upon the shoulders of the man this baby would become, the pain and wrongdoing and shame and brokenness of the whole world would be placed.

God’s story is that of a Father longing to be restored to his children. It is the story of a terrible rift that has been made between God and the people who have turned their back on him. The story of a perfect, good and holy God who is grieved by the way the world and the people in it hurt themselves and each other, who cannot ignore wrongdoing and yet loves those who do wrong.

In her astounding book, “The Crucifixion”, Fleming Rutledge asks this question: “What sort of predicament are you and I in that we should require the crucifixion of God?”

When I allow the words of that question to sink it, it is deeply uncomfortable. I do not understand the gravity of sin. I do really understand the necessity of the cross. I do not really think that I deserved to die and be separated from God. I do not want to believe that I needed someone to stand in my place and take away my sin because I couldn’t do it on my own.

But, it was my sin that held Jesus to the cross. It was my rejection of God that caused Jesus to be rejected by his own Father. I needed Jesus to take my place. I needed Jesus to become the perfect exchange. He became my substitute. 

In the moment of crying out on the cross that His Father had forsaken him, Jesus took on my estrangement from God. He was rejected so that I could be brought close. He became Fatherless that I might know God as Father.

Reflection: Read the lyrics of the today’s song. Let us ask God to show us the beauty of the sacrifice Jesus made and to reveal to us the reason that he was willing to stand in our place: because he loved us.

How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the man upon a cross
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

2 comments:

  1. So powerful thank you Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, John, for your comment. Yes, love this song. Such powerful words!

    ReplyDelete